The Spanish landed near Penryn in 1567. There is a popular dubious story about the Spanish being frightened off by a company of actors playing late at night.
The foreunners of the Home Guard was the Volunteer Corps which were established in Penryn in 1794.
Enemy aircraft were overhead on many occassions during WW2, but only two notable bombings took place. On May 13, 1941 several bombs were dropped in the Mill Lane-Quary Hill area which resulted in the destruction of 23 houses and 18 persons being killed. On September 6, 1941 two large parachute mines were dropped, only one person was injured.
|forename ▲▼||surname ▲▼|
|forename ▲▼||surname ▲▼||notes ▲▼|
|J.C.||Welch||1st Class Stoker Navy|
In memory of the men of the parish of St. Gluvias with Penryn who gave their lives in the Great War that we might live in peace 1914-1918